The Bombay High Court on Friday stayed Maharashtra government’s interim order to give 16% reservation to Marathas and reservation to Muslims in government service.
Reacting to the interim order passed by the Bombay High Court, Congress-NCP leaders expressed opinion that the decision by the erstwhile government was taken after considering proposals made by various committees. However, many experts believe that court’s order is a slap on the former state government.
NCP leader Nawab Malik said, The BJP government should clear their stand on the issue of reservation for Muslims and Marathas. Are they in favour of it or against it. CM Devendra Fadnavis says they will look into Maratha reservation, but there is no clarity on Muslims reservation. Devendra Fadnavis should explain this disparity.”
Questioning the petition filed by Ketan Tirodkar and Anil Thanekar, Malik Malik further added, “The relation between the BJP and petitioners needs to be probed.”
Admitting a batch of Public Interest Litigations, a bench headed by Chief Justice Mohit Shah said the Supreme Court had already laid down the law for reservation which cannot exceed 50% of the total seats.
Political analyst and Editor in Chief of Zee 24 Taas Dr. Uday Nirgudkar said, “Since the report on the reservation was submitted by the committee and not a Commission, it had its own limitations. But by passing the order, the court has rejected Rane committee’s report.”
He further said, “The decision taken by the erstwhile Congress-NCP government was a political move keeping elections on mind. Earlier, the government had said that they had taken opinions of the experts. But when the court has passed the order, the question is who are the experts they are talking about?”
Stating that the reservation is also being demanded by the Dhangar community and other backward classes Nirgudkar added, “The Congress-NCP always maintain their stand that they had given justice to backward classes by giving reservation. However, the courts order is a ‘slap’ on the face of Congress, NCP and ‘Maratha Brigade’
“If the Supreme Court upholds the decision given by the High Court, it would be surprising”, said Nirgudkar.
However, the court was of the view that the comparative data provided by the government justified its decision to introduce reservation for Muslims in government educational institutions.
Former Minorities Development Minister Nasim Khan said, “The Supreme Court has allowed quotas for Muslims in educational institutions and I welcome it. However, we will read the court’s interim order on staying reservation to Muslims in government service.”
He further said, “Maharashtra government should appeal in Supreme Court for reservation in government jobs, as the decision was taken after considering the proposals made by various committees.”
Welcoming the move activist Vaibhay Chaya said, “The decision taken by the erstwhile Congress-NCP government was taken for political benefits. Reservation is given on the basis of social backwardness. Reservation given to make the opportunity available for development. It is not a concession.”
He further added, “Many Politicians are Marathas and major sugar factories, co-operatives and businesses are owned by them. They have all the facilities available openly. The reservation is against the Constitution.”
“We expect the state government to challenge the decision of the court in the Supreme Court,” said Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant.
First published on: dnaindia.com